The August meeting got us off to a great start! You will be getting newsletters on a regular basis from Sandra Johnson. Rose Byrum and I will be digging through all theold files to get the information to the lawyer to reinstate our tax exempt status. Lisa Kiersey, as usual, is already busy organizing our shows and other art display opportunities.
Laura Wilson is getting another website up and running, making it easier for us to be contacted and giving each of us an opportunity to put our two cents in.
Lynn Bryant and Sandra Johnson are working on a new membership list for you guys. And last, but certainly not least, Elaine Vars has the year planned! She has contacted some very special people to present programs to all of us; you'll get a heads up on those in each newsletter. A big thank you goes out to all our members who volunteered to present programs without knowing Elaine had already filled the slots. We have some big talent in our group and maybe we can talk them into have little socials between meetings where we can see them demonstrate for us. And a special thanks goes out to all those of you who are helping to make our meetings interesting, relevant, and fun. This is YOUR group and each of you is an important part of it.
Please be thinking about whether or not you want to have a very short sharing/critique session before the meetings where you bring whatever you are working on, finished, or need help with. We'll chat about that at the September meeting.
I'm looking forward to seeing all of you September 5th at our old meeting place, THE NED, 314 E. Main.
This is going to be a special year, guys! Lots of great things are planned and I'm excited to be a part of it!!!
Charlotte (Charley) Highers
- LAURA WILSON will be having a SHOW entitled "MEETING" which will be on location at THE NED during September - October 2017. Reception will be on September 7th from 5:00 pm until 7:00 pm.
- ART IN THE VILLAGE preseents - COLORS OF FALL ART FESTIVAL and PAINT OUT Event Date: Saturday, September 23rd; Time: 9:00 am until 5:00 pm. (Please find the event sheet here)
- WEST TENNESSEE STATE FAIR EXHIBIT - Go to wtsfair.com for more information. "SEW IT-GROW IT-SHOW IT." The application is available here, or contact Lisa Kersey. You can bring your items to the fairgrounds on September 7th from 1:00 pm until 6:00 pm.
- JVAA FALL SHOW - "UNIFIED DIVERSITY" - Dates: November 2nd-December 28th - Time to be announced at a later date.
- PAINTING PROJECT for a schedule Sunday, November 5th event - Event Description: MADISON HALL COMMUNITY CLUB is celebrating the 100th Birthday of their club headquarters building - the original and historic Madison Hall School Building located at 1250 Steam Mill Ferry Road, just southwest of Jackson, TN. As a part of the celebration, the Club would like to produce an art show for which we would solicit participants to present for display and/or sale, their depictions of notable local structures, events, persons, etc. If you are interested, please contact Mary Spellings - 731-616-8083.
Membership dues are being received for the 2017-18 JVAA year. Please mail your $30 check to : Jackson Visual Arts Association, P.O. Box 3671, Jackson, TN 38303. Just a reminder - a LATE FEE of $10 will be added if not paid by the September 5th meeting.
See our list of 2017/2018 Officers and Committee Chairpersons here.
Rose Byrum presented the latest Financial Report for Fiscal Year Ended 06/30/17:
Bank Balance on 07/01/16-$2,813.67
with Revenues of $2,991.29=$5,804.96.
Total Disbursements were $3,237.20.
Bank Balance as of 06/30/17 totaled: $2,567.76.
Congratulations to Charley Highers who won "Best of Show" at the Souther Expressions show in Bolivar, TN in June 2017 with her painting "SEE ME?" [Painting of a Lizard]
Elaine Vars, Chairman of the Education Committee, mentioned during our August meeting that she would like to encourage all members to attend monthly meetings - as she has put together an amazing line-up of programs for the year include JANICE SUMLER and LES MCDERMOTT.
NOTE FROM THE SECRETARY
Members are encouraged to send news to be published in our monthly newsletter. Any information should be submitted no later than the 8th day of the month, preferably by email. My email address is listed above. Examples: if you have placed at a show, know of a new art product that you would like to share, or know of an upcoming exhibition.
FAMOUS ARTIST QUOTE
"Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."
- Pablo Picasso